What can make DNS lookups slow?

Situation I have with a firewall machine facing an ADSL router is that
DNS lookups are slow: several seconds.  However, other TCP/IP traffic,
principally HTTP, seems fast.  The slow lookups are true whether direct off
that machine or for other machines that lookup through it (either just
NAT transfer or if they look to BIND9 running on the machine).
Generally another machine being proxy ARP presented to the same router
through the same ethernet card seems to do lookups much faster.

I am sure the clue is in the better speed of the proxy ARP lookup
transfer but damned if I can see what the answer is.  HELP hugely
appreciated as the slow lookups are driving me mad!

TIA,

Chris