how to install dpkg from scratch?

Hi,

I have a filesystem where I want to add debian packages. How could I
install dpkg from scratch so that I can use it to install packages?

I extracted dpkg 1.10 with its dependant packages. (dselect and ncurses)

I have a /usr/lib/dpkg directory with a status file and some other,
but when I do:

dpkg -i somepackage.deb, it fails with not finding the updates file.

I dont care about dependencies as I am already aware of them for the
packages I want to install. I simply want dpkg to install the files in
the right places and perhaps run the postinst preinst scripts as what
-i does.

Do you know how to install dpkg to work like this?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Bahadir