openoffice fails with relocation error

Just before Christmas, openoffice started failing with a message
similar to this one:

  freefall ~ $ ooffice
  /usr/lib/openoffice/program/setofficelang.bin: relocation error: /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0: symbol errno, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
  /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice.bin: relocation error: /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0: symbol errno, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

I tried upgrading Sunday and still have the same problem. Other userids
on the system can start ooffice successfully, but they had never run
ooffice before. I tried moving .sversionrc and .openoffice to backup
dirs and rerunning but I don't seen any improvement.

Strace from running ooffice is on the web if anyone would like more
details.

  http://www.mindspring.com/~lee.bradshaw/ooffice.log

Any suggestions on what I might have in my environment or home
directory to make openoffice fail for my userid?

Thanks,
Lee

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com