Re: how to revert from ext3 back to ext2?

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 04:53:18PM +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
>  --- Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
> > My /home and / partitions are ext3. I'd like to change them to
> > ext2. Can I do this just by umounting and remounting them that way?
>
> You need to remove the journal.  You'll have to boot from a rescue CD of
> some kind, and do something like:

In case you are feeling adventurous, you can probably also do it if you
boot with "init=/bin/sh" as a boot parameter. This should put you in a
shell with only / mounted read-only, and nothing else. Only the editing
of /etc/fstab must then be done as a first step, before the the reboot,
and after you are done with the tune2fs commands, I would just reset the
PC (no danger for your files, everything was mounted read-only or not
mounted at all).

Frank