Re: ACPI battery state doesn't get updated (more info)

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 05:24:46PM -0500, H. S. wrote:
> Apparently, _Jan C. Nordholz_, on 03/01/05 20:05,typed:
> >Dear list,
> >
> >after installing Debian on an old IBM Thinkpad
> >everything seems to be working fine, except that
> >the battery state is constant, i.e. it is read
> >once correctly at bootup and doesn't change
> >afterwards. On the other hand, the ACPI system does
> >recognise when I plug/unplug the AC (which sets
> >/proc/acpi/ac_adapter/AC/state to off-line, but
>

> I am experiencing a similar thing in Inspiron 5160 running Sid and
> kernel 2.6.9 (usually the Gnome desktop) -- actually, in all kernels
> since Sid's installation. BTW, you mentioned "bootup", IIRC in my case I
> noticed that it read the power source state once when a user logged into
> Gnome and just showed the same state irrespective of pluggin in/out of
> the power cable.
>
> ->HS

Hi once again,

I've looked around a little in the ACPI kernel code, increased the
debug_level to maximum, but everything seems ok... there is no notable
difference in the operation of getting the thermal zone status (which
works) and getting the battery status (which doesn't). The only strange
thing I have is this (during bootup):

[ACPI Debug] String: [0x2E] "-------------------BAT1_STA, slot is connected"
[ACPI Debug] String: [0x29] "-------------------------------- BAT1_BIF"
[ACPI Debug] String: [0x32] "--------------------------------Set P4.0 : OS-BAT1"
[ACPI Debug] String: [0x35] "--------------------------------BAT1 is still present"
[ACPI Debug] String: [0x2B] "--------------------------------ACCESS UPBI"
[ACPI Debug] String: [0x2B] "--------------------------------ACCESS UPBS"
[ACPI Debug] String: [0x28] "------local0.0 = BAT1 PBIF modified-----"
[ACPI Debug] Integer: 0x00000003
[ACPI Debug] String: [0x28] "------local0.1 = BAT1 PBST modified-----"
ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT1] (battery present)
[ACPI Debug] String: [0x2A] "-------------------BAT2_STA, slot is empty"
ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT2] (battery absent)

I'm a little bit curious about the "modified" message - even more as
I wasn't able to locate that string in the C ACPI code, so I guess it
comes from the depths lying below C...

Anyway, when the bootup process is completed, it happily queries (but
to no effect)...

Jan 10 09:59:05 localhost kernel: [ACPI Debug] String: [0x2A] "-------------------------------- BAT1 _BST"
Jan 10 09:59:05 localhost kernel: [ACPI Debug] String: [0x40] "-------------------------------------------------- _TZ.THRM._TMP"
Jan 10 09:59:10 localhost kernel: [ACPI Debug] String: [0x2A] "-------------------------------- BAT1 _BST"
Jan 10 09:59:10 localhost kernel: [ACPI Debug] String: [0x40] "-------------------------------------------------- _TZ.THRM._TMP"
Jan 10 09:59:15 localhost kernel: [ACPI Debug] String: [0x2A] "-------------------------------- BAT1 _BST"
Jan 10 09:59:15 localhost kernel: [ACPI Debug] String: [0x40] "-------------------------------------------------- _TZ.THRM._TMP"
Jan 10 09:59:20 localhost kernel: [ACPI Debug] String: [0x2A] "-------------------------------- BAT1 _BST"
Jan 10 09:59:20 localhost kernel: [ACPI Debug] String: [0x40] "-------------------------------------------------- _TZ.THRM._TMP"

Oh, and a last side note: The Evil OS[tm] can read the battery state
just fine - at least old 98SE can, I've got nothing more recent to
test that.

Thanks for reading all this... anyone got a clue?

Jan

PS: Oh, and to H.S.: Logging in and out of X has no effect here -
but I don't use gnome, just plain xdm + blackbox.

--
Jan C. Nordholz
<jckn at gmx dot net>