Re: Acer WLAN

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:33:32PM +0100, Yevgen Reznichenko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to run my Acer WLAN 802.11 PCMCIA Card under Debian (sid,
> 2.6.9). According to linux-wlan.org it has a Prism2/2.5/3 chipset. But I
> can't find the appropriate module which I should load to enable this
> card. Could you please refer me to the right module name?
>
> Furthermore, windows says that this card has Realtek 8180L chipset? Is
> it in conflict to "Prism2/2.5/3". Is it possible to get running Realtek
> binaries under 2.6?
>
> Any help is welcome!
>
> Yevgen

Hi Yevgen,

I just bought an Acer USB card (and for only 15 Euros no less) which
uses Prism2/2.5/3. From my installation experience, I think you should

apt-get install linux-wlan-ng linux-wlan-ng-doc

Furthermore you need the correct linux-wlan-ng-modules package, in my
case 'linux-wlan-ng-modules-2.6.7-1-686-smp', which I compiled myself.
The creation of this package is described in

/usr/share/doc/linux-wlan-ng-doc/README.Debian.gz

but you also might find a package already compiled for your kernel.

As a result you will have installed several modules

prism2_cs
prism2_pci
prism2_plx
prism2_usb

of which you will need prism2_cs. Once this is loaded, you can use
wlanctl-ng to control the card.

Now if your card _doesn't_ use the Prism2/2.5/3 chipset, don't listen to
me...

Good luck,

Andreas

P.S.: With a little parabolic aluminium sheet-metal and the USB at the center,
      I get a signal from 2.5km away. I'm truly impressed.