Highpoint R-RAID 454 4c RAID5 ATA

Does anyone have any experience of this controller?  I want RAID on
two new machines under stable (i.e. Woody for now).  Previously I've
configured RAID0 in s'ware with a bit of a struggle to understand it
properly and a bit of frustration that you are still booting not off a
RAID mirrored bit of drive (as I understand it).  Seems to run fine
now however, I'm moving to RAID5 I think to get more drives in and
I've been recommended this Highpoint card and they do seem to have
drivers for Linux and source.  Here's the stuff from their pages:
Host Side Interface             32bit/33MHz PCI
Device side interface           ATA133 (IDE)
RAID controller IC              HighPoint HPT374 UDMA ATA133 RAID Controller
Number of IDE channels          4 Channels
Maximum number of drives        8 hard disk drives
Supported Hard drives           Up to ATA133
Supported RAID Levels           0, 1, 5, 10, JBOD
Supported OSs                   Windows 98 / ME / NT4.0 / 2K / XP / 2003
                                Linux (SuSE, Red Hat, Caldera, Turbo), and FreeBSD
RAID Management Tool            RAID Configuration and Management
GUI Function                    RAID Configuration and Management (compatible with BIOS)
Additional Features             Bootable disk or disk array support
                                Disk hot spare for automatic mirror rebuilding
                                Hot-swapping failed hard drives for RAID 1, 5 or 1/0
                                Error alarm with on-card beeper
                                Automatic e-mail notification when error occurs
                                Large LBA support capacity exceeding 137GB

That looks as if I might have to compile the drivers from source as
Debian isn't there (how many hardware manufacturers provide debs and
Debian support automatically on all their new products?!)  However,
I've seen recent sad tales on this list about controllers that looked
as if they ought to have worked but didn't so I wondered if anyone had
any experience and if anyone could tell me whether these sorts of
controllers come up as a single IDE drive or what?

TIA,

Chris