Sarge Net Install Hangs on Older Machine

Due to a problem we're having here, I reviewed with interest the prior
thread ("Debian on an old PC") discussing the installation of Debian
on an "older" machine ...

Based on the info shared there, our machine (K6/450MHz, 128MB) seems
adequate to at least *install* 'sarge'.  Unfortunately the
installation "hangs" after the last line below:
      ... ... ...
      ... ... ...
     Unpacking replacement locales ...
     Preparing to replace libc6-2.3.2ds1-18 (using ....)
     Unpacking replacement libc6 ...   <======================== HANG

At this point control-C has no effect; also, trying to switch to
another console (e.g., control-alt-F2) does nothing.

Can anyone suggest a way to continue the installation?

Thanks,

--
Prof Kenneth H Jacker       khj@cs.appstate.edu
Computer Science Dept       www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj