Re: slow DNS lookups from firewall

OK  Another take on this: I'm trying to debug why DNS lookups from a
Debian woody firewall machine have become slow over an ADSL link to
British Telecom's DNS servers (router and servers not changed lately).
 I'm an amateur sysop but generally cope well but need some help
debugging this.

Machine has three ethernet ports: two are via-rhine on the board (eth1
and eth2) and one is a PCI realtek RTL8139 card.  That's the one which faces
the router.  I'm now debugging at the basics: one wire at a time.  If
my /etc/interfaces only gives the one route to the router through eth0
my pings to the router give:
ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
ping: wrote 217.34.100.198 64 chars, ret=-1

If I take the network down, bring it back up just looking through
eth1, pings are fine and fast.

Am I getting near the cause of the problem or is this a red herring: is this card
malfunctioning? Why would it not permit a ping? If this is the cause,
presumably it's not absolute and some traffic is still getting
through the card.

TIA,

Chris