udev + kernel 2.6.8 + usb mass storage

Hi,

I have some troubles to mount any usb mass storage device using udev and
kernel 2.6.8 (or 2.6.9).

My device is quite well detected:

usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using address 4
  Vendor: TOSHIBA   Model: MK4004GAH         Rev: JC00
SCSI device sdc: 78126048 512-byte hdwr sectors (40001 MB)
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdc: sdc1
Attached scsi disk sdc at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg2 at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 0
USB Mass Storage device found at 4

So I am sure that I have to mount /dev/sdc1.

udev quite well detecte it:

ls /dev/sdc*
brw-rw----  1 root disk 8, 32 Jan  8 18:31 /dev/sdc
brw-rw----  1 root disk 8, 33 Jan  8 18:31 /dev/sdc1

It creates (or remove when I disconnect) /dev/sdc and /dev/sdc1. For
customising that, I have to write rules, but the problem is that I fail
to mount /dev/sdc1:

mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/pendrive
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1,
       or too many mounted file systems

or

mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /mnt/pendrive
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1,
       or too many mounted file systems

So i checked my kernel parameters:
- I have vfat in File Systems
- I have the USB stuffs (and it works because I see it in dmesg)
- I have no devfs support
- I have scsi support (emulation and generic support) as adviced on may
pages on internet

I really do not know what to try. I suspect a bug in kernel 2.6.8, but
it stills does not work in 2.6.9. In kernel 2.6.9 it detects the device
in /dev/uba1, and it fails mounting it.

Have you any idea about this ?

JFL

Some iformations on my config:
- Debian testing
- Kernel 2.6.8 (tested 2.6.9 too) compiled by hand
- /sys, /proc well mounted
- tmpfs ok
- /etc/init.d/udev start  works