Re: How can I tell what package installed a specific file?

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 18:25:03 -0500
stan wrote:

> The problem is, I can't figure out which package contains
> growisofs.
>
> How do I do this?

What did you do to try and figure this out on your own?

I went to packages.debian.org and there's a simple web form for searching
package contents for files.  Then I went to the "User Documentation" page
at www.debian.org, looked at the Debian Reference, and there in Chapter 6,
_Debian Package Management_, under 6.4.1, "Information on a file", it
tells us about dpkg -S.  Alternately, I googled on `debian what package
contains a file' and the very first link returned gave me that chapter of
the Debian Reference.

Finally, another piece of info, not easily gleaned from the above:

cd /var/lib/dpkg/info
grep cmd_i_wanna_find *.list

will also work.

-c