Re: In defense of modern software (Re: Debian on an old PC)

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 17:30 -0500, William Ballard wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 04:12:14PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > 2) Macintosh excepted, but it had it's own problems: the geniuses
> > who wrote it had to be brilliant to squeeze all that greatness into
> > a 64KB ROM, and the hacks they had to do mad it difficult to make
> > multi-finder, do protected multi-tasking, and port the s/w to Power.
>
> Reminds of the old farts who used to tell me how they'd fit 100 people
> onto a system with 256K of memory.  Each client would get allocated 2K.
> :-)

I'm one of those old farts.

My 1st job was as a mainframe COBOL programmer.  The machine, an
Amdahl PCM of an IBM 4030, had a 1.6 MIPS CPU and 6MB RAM, but yet
supported ~75 on-line users plus 10 batch queue slots.  Pretty
amazing.

The way it did it, of course, was that IBM pushed a lot of the
work out towards the edge: FEPs (front-end processors) handled the
incoming data from smart block-mode terminals, and the disk and
tape controllers (boxes 1/2 the size of the main box) had their
own intelligence.  And, of course, CICS allowed the application to
"forget about" a user until s/he pressed the XMIT key.
None of this the-main-CPU-handles-every-keystroke-from-every-terminal
stuff that saps the resources of interactive systems like Unix &
VMS.
IBM knew what it wanted to do: build fast transaction-processing
systems, and it did a great job of it.

Programming it was a true pain in the fscking a**, though.  Blech!

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

GGLX : Gnome GNU Linux X.Org