Re: More woes from earlier upgrade

On Saturday 08 January 2005 09:03 am, Kent West wrote:
> Thomas Adam wrote:
> > --- Michael Satterwhite <michael@weblore.com> wrote:
> >> trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/fr/man1/cups-config.1.gz', which is
> >
> >http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=287609
> >
> >*sigh*
>
> Thomas, I can understand your sigh, but searching bugs.debian.org and
> actually finding relevant material is not as easy for the uninitiated as
> one might wish it to be. To a non-developer, it's basically a foreign
> language (because of the format/process, not the language).
>
> Michael, this is a fairly common type of breakage in Sid; you can
> usually wait a few days and try again, and in most cases it'll have been
> fixed by then. But as Thomas implies, it's a good idea to search for
> these issues at bugs.debian.org, and if they're not already posted, you
> might want to file a bug report yourself (although, again, the process
> is not as intuitive as one might like). If you can't wait the few days,
> a lot of times you can work around the problem once you realize it's a
> bug, by removing conflicting packages, or "forcing" an install, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I can wait, of course. Part of my frustration has
nothing to do with Debian (*GREAT* distribution) or the members of the list
(and thanks, Thomas. I hang my head in shame for not searching first). My
frustration comes from my own carelessness in breaking my own procedures. If
I had followed them, I wouldn't be having these problems now.

I hereby officially apologize for the trouble I've caused those who are trying
to help.