Re: locatedb is world readable

Alexander Schmehl wrote:
* David Garamond <lists@zara.6.isreserved.com> [050107 09:44]:

/var/cache/locate/locatedb is world readable. Is this the correct default? Can it be made so only certain users have file-level access to it? (In Redhat there's 'slocate' group and the locate command is setgid to that group.)

Wouldn't it be a solution to install slocate, and either remove the
findutils (not sure if that's a good idea) or deactivate the cronjob and
remove the db?

Argh, I didn't even check that Debian has slocate. Silly me.

Thanks!

Regards,
dave