dual boot? what do i need to do?

Hey everybody!

Im trying to install Gentoo on my functional Debian system, I have 2 HD's, /dev/hdab and hdb. I have / on hda1 (set bootable), swap on hda2, and /home on hdb1 /usr on hdb2 and am trying to put Gentoo on hdb3. I have my menu.lst file in /boot/grub, but that is on the Debian / partition, I am assuming that I will need to edit menu.lst in order to be able to boot into Gentoo once installed on hdb3, but how will it being on hda1 affect the install? That is if I make hdb3 the root partition for my Gentoo system (and set up a seperate swap space of course) and install Gentoo's kernel and initrd image on hdb3 how will the menu.lst (acting as grub.conf?) be able to see the image(s) on hdb3? Or will that be determined by my setup of menu.lst (as in root=hd1,0) for the Gentoo entry? I wouldn't need to make hdb3 bootable would I?

Anything is appreciated!!

Thanks millions!!

Charles Read