Re: How to prevent modules loading?

Hello

rich (<stantonrj@cf.ac.uk>) wrote:

> How do I prevent a module loading at startup?  I have a prism-based
> wireless card, but have configured it using ndiswrapper so that I can
> use WPA.  Although ndiswrapper seems to run before prism (ndiswrapper
> is listed in /etc/modules) & therefore configure the card correctly,
> prism54 module is still loaded.
>
> How do I prevent this happenning?

Several programs cna be responsible for the driver being loaded. This
includes hotplug and discover1, which are both part of the base system,
at least in Sarge. You can add the driver you don't want to be loaded
to their blacklist (/etc/hotplug/blacklist.d, /etc/discover.conf.d/).
You also can add a line

alias drivername off

to your /etc/modutils/ and/or /etc/modprobe.d. If you use kernel 2.4
with /etc/modutils/, you need to run update-modules after changing a
file in /etc/modutils/.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270