Re: confused. sarge raid5 -should i use mdadm or raidtools2

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 13:28 -0500, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> On Thursday 06 January 2005 11:27 am, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 05:21 -0500, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I would like to set up a Debian box running Sarge, to include a storage
> > > array using raid5  with boot off a separate system disk.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > raidtools2 == deprecated, mdadm == supercedes raidtools
>
> i am curious. i am running 2.6.8 kernel on sarge. i tried to avoid recompiling
> my kernel and would prefer to load the raid5 driver as a module, and thus use
> initrd.img. however, in my initial setup, after i ran mknod /dev/md0 and then
> rebooted, /dev/md0 dissapeared, (perhaps  this udev? is the culpret? who
> knows?).

Well you found the same bug I found doing it that way. Remove udev. file
a bug against kernel-source-2.6.8-1. Ask the Debian Kernel Team. As far
as the bug, here it is and read Marco's response and re-assign to the
kernel.

>  well what do i do to make it appear each boot?  or perhaps, once i
> create the initrd with raid5 module in it, then it will appear without my
> doing mknod /dev/md0 each time, or do i need a script in /etc/rcS.d
> or /etc/rc2.d to do
> mknod /dev/md0 b 9 0
> each reboot?
> any ideas?
> mknod /dev/md0

Oh, yes my child... all you haav to do is remove udev for the time being
or recompile a kernel with raid* compiled in statically.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux