Re: debian-user and mail tools

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 04:09:20PM +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:
> So Sam,
> could you be so kind to comment/complete the complete "toolchain" ?

Glad to see you didn't have me killfiled yet ;)

> 1) ISP IMAP Server

I use FastMail.FM.  They provide a good email service for free, and more
space and some extra features for paying customers.  I used to work for
them, so I have a spacious account for free :)  You should use your own
ISP's SMTP server.  I think FastMail.FM is a really good email provider.
They provide sieve-based filtering "rules" which you can configure
through the web interface.  They'll only give you 10MB space for free,
though.

> 2) OfflineIMAP to fetch the IMAP mail and store it locally (Mail
> Delivery Agent ?)

Offlineimap doesn't use a delivery agent, you will need something to
send your mail to the SMTP server and to handle local mail.  I am
using postfix at the moment, which is overkill.  You could use a
simple one like ssmtp or msmtp if you only want to worry about sending
mail to the SMTP server, or exim.

I use a dodgy script I wrote which watches the IMAP server use the
"idle" command and runs offline imap (and shows me a message with
"larsremote" from larswm) when I get new mail.  Perhaps one of the other
IMAP syncing programs has the capability to use the "idle" command
directly.  I will add it, when I get the time.

> n) mutt as the Mail User Agent -> Will act on the local maildir mail and
> then the alterations will be reflected back on the ISP via OfflineIMAP

yes.

> Where would procmail and/or spamassassin be integrated ?

In my case, FastMail.FM are running sieve and spamassassin.  I don't
think they kill spam for non-paying customers though, spamassassin uses
too much CPU.

I'm not sure how you could integrate procmail and offlineimap, when
using IMAP I guess the filtering / sorting into folders should happen
on the IMAP server.

Theoretically offlineimap should allow you to filter the mail as it
comes in using an external program (like procmail), and delete it if
it's to be excluded, but I don't think it does that.

I'm going to have a look at the other offlineimap-like programs, and see
which I like best, and have a go at enhancing whichever one if
necessary.  Don't hold your breath, though!