Re: Debian on an old PC

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 16:51 +0000, Sue Spence wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:

> > [snip]
> >
> >>hence an easier sell.  Supporting really old kit is IMO a royal
> >>time-wasting pain at the best of times. I know some people enjoy it, but
> >>I can think of more fun things to do.
> >

> > Better said: it's a geek hobby, not fit for human consumption. ;)
> >

> Your "correction" misses my point. I said *supporting* really old kit is
> a pain.
>
> I play with the stuff fairly regularly for my own purposes. There is a
> tidy pile of scavenger fodder next to my desk right now, and boxes of it
> on racks in our office. However, for various reasons, I really don't
> like to do IT support for family and friends on old gear. It's a mug's game.

Some people think it's *fun* to work on the old stuff.  You sound
like you might be one.  I agree, though, that supporting someone
else's ancient kit is a pain.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"There never was a good war or a bad peace."
Benjamin Franklin
Well, I think I have to disagree with Mr. Franklin...