Re: Debian on an old PC

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 15:36 +0100, Vegard Lundby Rekaa wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 14:54 +0100, Vegard Lundby Rekaa wrote:
> >> I need some advice. Is debian fit for a Pentium 100MHz PC with 16MB RAM
> >> and approx 4Gb harddisk? Are there anyone who has experience with such a
> >> slow machine running debian (or any other linux dist)?
> >
> > Depends on what software you decide to install on it.
> >
> > What do you want to do with the box?
> >
> With this box I am trying to convince my father that linux is an excellent
> replacement for windows98se for writing textdocuments and maybe some
> scientific documents. He needs a machine with a simple gui, openoffice.org
> and some other simple programs.  For the window-manager I had xfce in
> mind, which is as I have understood, the easiest to lern of the small
> wm's.

As Harland said, this is a a bit too low powered.

OpenOffice will be slow to load even with 128MB RAM, but will
function.

I don't know what PC prices are like in .no, but here in .us, you
can get a minimally adequate box for only US$300.
  http://www.sub300.com/info.htm

Tiny has one for GBP319.
  http://www.tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=10987

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

All of the "reporting" about Laci Peterson & Michael Jackson
reminds me of the Don Henley song "Dirty Laundry": "Can we do the
operation? Is the head dead yet? You know, the boys in the
newsroom got a running bet. Get the widow on the set, we need
dirty laundry."