Re: Debian on an old PC

Vegard Lundby Rekaa wrote:

I need some advice. Is debian fit for a Pentium 100MHz PC with 16MB RAM
and approx 4Gb harddisk? Are there anyone who has experience with such a
slow machine running debian (or any other linux dist)?
We ran our mail server on a Pentium 133 for a couple of years. We processed a few thousand messages a day about half of them running through spamassassin. But, we had 128 Megs of ram.

A machine that old can still be useful, but you have to use it in the right spot. If you don't have a great deal of traffic, it would make a great router, firewall, mail server, web server, dns server, etc....Maybe even all of the above. (however, more ram would help.)

I probably would try to avoid using as a desktop. It can be done with some of the lightweight gui's, but i don't think it would be pretty. ;)

begin:vcard
fn:Jason Crowe
n:Crowe;Jason
org:MidWest Quality Gloves