Re: Umask 002 policy

On (23/12/04 10:40), Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> Once upon a time Clive Menzies said...
> >
> > I've never really understood what the first digit does <shame-faced> but
> > having reread the chmod manpage it falls into place ....almost.  Setting
> > the group ID at 2, means any file or directory created by someone in 'group'
> > will apply the same attributes?
>
> Not quite. I does not matter who creates the file/directory (as long as
> they have permission to create a file in the directory). But the file
> will be created with a group the same as the directory. It does not
> affect the attributes any new files though - hence your need for a 002
> umask. Directories created in a setgid parent directory will
> automatically have the setgid bit set on them, so the group ID will
> continue to propogate down the hierarchy.
>
> Also, your terminology is a little off. "Setting the group ID at 2",
> should really say "Setting the setgid bit". Setting the gid bit is done
> by using the numeric prefix of 2, or the symbolic mode of "g+s". "Setting
> the group ID at 2" means something different (setting the group ID is
> done with chown/chgrp, not chmod).
>
> For an executable, the setgid bit (2, or g+s in symbolic form) means
> that when the program executes, its group id will be changed to the
> group of the executable. On a directory, this makes no sense, and it has
> been subverted to mean what I described above.
Hi Cameron

Your help has been invaluable - I've been setting up two pairs of
servers (File server and remote backup server) and getting the right
ownerships and permissions was causing me some angst.

I now have a much clearer understanding of all this - thanks ;)

This list is the best educational resource I've come across

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...