Re: cannot open root device "801"

Interesting that I think I might have found the real source of my build
problem.

I was able to retain a config file from a working 2.6.8 kernel build,
and used it as the basis of my further builds by loading that config
file while in "make config" mode.  I then recompiled a new kernel,
adding only the ability to read a Macintosh partition (remember, I'm
trying to read an HFS+ filesystem on an iPod).  The build failed to
boot.

I ran a diff on both the known-good config file and the new config file.
The diff is thus:

< CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y
< # CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL is not set
< # CONFIG_MINIX_SUBPARTITION is not set
< # CONFIG_SOLARIS_X86_PARTITION is not set
< # CONFIG_UNIXWARE_DISKLABEL is not set
---
> # CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION is not set

It appears that having "CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION" not set is the root of
my problem.  I was able to recreate this problem by building a new
kernel and removing ONLY the "CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION" setting.  The new
kernel did not boot.  I built multiple kernels, some with and some
without that setting.  All the ones without that setting failed to boot.

I find it *INCREDIBLY* annoying that this seemingly-unnecessary setting
is crucial to booting, especially so since it was apparently enabled by
default but hidden in the "Advanced Partition" menu area (if you don't
select "Advanced Partition" you don't see the pre-configured choice for
"CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION").  Perhaps I just haven't been paying
attention, but I have never had this type of problem in 7 years of
building custom kernels.

--

Eric N. Valor
ericv@cruzio.com