Re: Compiling Vanilla 2.4.22 Kernel Help Needed

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 04:09 pm, PHANI ARAVA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Iam having a big and strange problem
>
> I have Installed Debian Sarge on to the systems of our research lab
> I have to implement a patch onto 2.4.22 kernel (vannila) I patched it
> and compiled the kernel the deb way (Forgot to tell u that i have
> copied the config file that came with Sarge). I installed the kernel
> and reboot the system ..
>
> I get this following error
>
> RAMDISK: cramfs filesystem found at block 0
> RAMDISK: loading 3276 blocks [1 disk] into ram disk... done.
> Freeing initrd memory: 3276k freed
> cramfs: wrong magic
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to miunt root fs on 22:02
>

> Can somebody tell me where exactly iam going wrong
> And well iam using lilo for another wierd reason..

You do not mention if you ran mkinitrd? The default Debian kernels use
an initrd.img to boot, compiles things as modules. Sounds like, at
least, the file system driver is not being loaded, the kernel panic. I
would either; not use the an initrd.img  to make one for your system, I
don't use them so I am no help there :)

--
Greg C. Madden