Re: [SOLVED] dist-upgrade > broken modem

I saw your post about the Ricochet modem - you put me on the right track, and the good news is that I've been in contact with the guys on the linux-usb-devel list. I've suspected for a long time that the Ricochet modem is buggy hardware, and now we've got proof... it turns out that it's flagrantly in violation of the USB spec, and they added in some code such that the kernel now cares.

I've got two solutions that should work for you, and let you system upgrade with no problems. One is a patch against the 2.6.8 kernel source, that backs out the "problem" patch that the usb-devel guys wrote. The other one is a patch against the 2.6.10 kernel, which Oliver Neukum provided. I've put up a page to download them both from here:

http://www.valleyhold.org/ricochet

Hope this helps!