ulimit problem

Dear gurus on this list,

I use linux since kernel 0.93 and went through quite a lot of ups and
downs but this is something I simply don't understand:

for running vmware I needed to increase the limit for open files.
ok, ulimit -n is restricted for non-root. I could do a su , ulimit -n
and su back to my user account. that way it works...

but I wanted to make it nice and clean, so I activated pam_limits for
gdm, set the limit in limits.conf, tested it in a tty - everything fine.

BUT I spent three evenings with google, manuals and quite a lot of other
sources but still diden't succeed:

when loging in through gdm the file descriptor limit for my user is 256,
no matter what I do.

I allready found out, that it must have something to do with the login
option for the shell. don't ask me why.
here is how I found out:

## in a gnome-terminal:
mlo@imladris ~ >ulimit -n
256
mlo@imladris ~ >su -
Password:
root@imladris:~# ulimit -n
1021
root@imladris:~# su mlo
mlo@imladris /root >ulimit -n
256
mlo@imladris /root >exit
root@imladris:~# su - mlo
mlo@imladris:~$ ulimit -n
1021

can someone shed some light on this?

thanks
mlo
--
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Lorenz

            They that can give up essential liberty
	    to obtain a little temporary safety
	    deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                   Benjamin Franklin

Microsoft, I think, is fundamentally an evil company.
 - JAMES H. CLARK

*** NEW PUBLIC KEY ***
my gpg-key ID: F1AAD37D
http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF1AAD37D