A note on the use of grep [WAS: Re: HELP! My printer won't stop!!]

Quoting Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk>:

> On (04/01/05 18:17), Vegard Lundby Rekaa wrote:
> > This is the output of the command
> >
> > $ ps aux | grep lpr
> >
> > hjem:~# ps aux | grep lpr
> > root      1401  0.0  0.3  1828  684 pts/1    R+   18:03   0:00 grep lpr
> > hjem:~#
> >
> > Is this the orinterjob I want to cancel, and what is the ProcessID?
>
> No. This is the grep process you just ran.  The Process ID is 1470.
> So it would appear that lpr is not running.

A quick note.  If you are grepping the output of a ps command, enclose the
first character of your regexp in square brackets.  For example:

ps aux | grep [l]pr

This still lists all the processes that contain the string "lpr", but it
will not match the grep process itself anymore.

-Roberto Sanchez