Re: HELP! My printer won't stop!!

On (04/01/05 18:17), Vegard Lundby Rekaa wrote:
> > On (03/01/05 23:09), Vegard Lundby Rekaa wrote:
> >> I used the lpr command to print an image, which gave me great problems.
> >> The printer writes text on every 4th page saying:
> >> %!PS-Adobe-3.0
> >>           %%Creator: The X Print Server's PostScript DDX
> >> (xprint.mozdev.org)
> >>
> >> I tried deleting the printer with 'localhost:631' and 'apt-get --purge
> >> remove cupsys', yet every time I start my PC the printer start again.
> >>
> >> Help! What can I do?

Hi Vegard

Sam Watkins suggested:
you can use the programs "lpq" and "lprm" to show the printer queue and
remove jobs from it respectively.

Look at the man pages

> > You could try:
> > $ ps aux | grep lpr
> > which will list the process ID
> > the kill the process, as root or sudo, with:
> > # kill -9 ProcessID (the number)
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Clive
> This is the output of the command
>
> $ ps aux | grep lpr
>
> hjem:~# ps aux | grep lpr
> root      1401  0.0  0.3  1828  684 pts/1    R+   18:03   0:00 grep lpr
> hjem:~#
>
> Is this the orinterjob I want to cancel, and what is the ProcessID?

No. This is the grep process you just ran.  The Process ID is 1470.
So it would appear that lpr is not running.

Sam's suggestion looks like the best option.  FWIW, if you install cups
it will give you access to manage the print queue via a webinterface.
To install cups look at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing/

You won't need samba and smb.client unless you're sharing printers with
windows PCs.

Regards

Clive

--