Re: names good for marketing

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 01:07 -0500, William Ballard wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 09:33:52PM -0800, Rich Rudnick wrote:
> > Maybe only a handful for sure, but they
> > do cast a wide pall.
>
> So you don't disagree that nowadays most people aren't racists in the
> south, which was the original point.

Yes. Some of my friends have mentioned they see more overt and subtle
racism outside the south than inside nowadays.

> A couple people will complain about ubuntu being an African name but
> most won't.

They will complain, the various media will pick up on it, it becomes an
'issue' and marketing departments don't normally like issues. Therefore,
in the US (Yes, US-centric because this thread started out there) no
broad-based products (yet) with African names.

> WTF is a "wide pall"?  Is that code word for "let's just focus on them
> and ignore everybody else" ?

The definition I was using:

"WordNet (r) 2.0"
pall