How to have serial port support as a module with kernel 2.6.9

Hi
After many tries my dial up modem is working with the serial port under
kernel 2.6.9.

The problem I still have is that I have to set up the modules with
insmod:
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.9/kernel/drivers/serial/serial_core.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.9/kernel/drivers/serial/8250.ko
to have the connection with pon.

Alternatively, I can change the modprobe.conf file with
"install serial /sbin/modprobe  --etc && {...}"  to "install serial
/sbin/modprobe 8250 --etc && {...}"  to install it. Otherwise I get
"modprobe fatal error running install command for serial, pppd failed
to open /dev/ttyS0 no such device or address" in the syslog.

What is the best way to have the serial support as a module ? I have
found the corrections above in other messages, but I suspect I loose
the advantage of compiling the serial port support as a module if I
load it on start.
Thank you for any illuminating explanation on that matter !

Francois