Re: can't the shell do a better job

* Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> [05-01-04 06:36]:

> Sure, but reverse-search-history is probably what you want:
>
>    C-r<string>
>
> ...recalls the most recently occuring line matching <string>.
>

> Repeating the C-r (that's <ctrl>-r BTW) finds the next prior match.

Well, I got a problem with that:

Let's assume I search for 'cdrecord'. I find several entries in
history, but not the one I was searching for. So I do a C-a C-k or a
C-u to get an empty prompt again. But now, I am somewhere in the
middle of the history. Is there a possibility to jump to the end of
history again? Let me clearify this a bit:

----<history>----
hist1
hist2
cdrecord --bla
hist3
cdrecord --bla
hist4
hist5
----</history>----

I do
$ C-r cdrecord
$ C-r

I now have:
$ cdrecord --bla

I do
$ C-a C-k
or
$ C-u

When I now use arrow up to go back one entry in history I get "hist2".
But I want "hist5" :(

grZ
--
Dani Belz                                        http://dan-b.net
GPG EF658E3D | 6CD2 C40F 74A7 DFF6 FD29  7A31 2DE7 09CD EF65 8E3D