Re: cut&paste doest not work with mozilla-firefox on some hosts?

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 02:21:50PM +0100, Christian Hammers wrote:
> Cut & paste from xterm via mouse-middle-click does not work with
> mozilla-firefox on a Debian Sarge desktop. It used to work with Mozilla 1.7
> and it does work on my Debian Sid desktop at home.

Are you sure the text is remaining selected in the xterm?  You're not using
CLIPBOARD, you're using PRIMARY, and the selection has to stay intact
until you hit middle-mouse.  The version of xterm in Sid changes that under
certain circumstances, but I don't know if that's propagated down to Sarge
yet.

> When I paste it via middle-click into a gnome-terminal and then explicitly
> use the edit->copy clipboard function I can paste it into the URL line
> of firefox.

More than likely because some idiot at Gnome has decided that
gnome-terminal should step on PRIMARY with CLIPBOARD.  There's a f.d.o
pseudo-standard somewhere that describes how Gnome breaks X clipboard
handling.

> Does anybody know how to tell firefox to use the standard X cut&paste?

Uh, it IS using the standard X cut & paste.

What YOU want it to do is use selections.

Which, admittedly, it should be doing by default, unless the maintainer
changed something.  It's a resource thing... it can be configured to do
pretty much whatever you want.

Read: http://www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html

Gnome has done more damage to people's understanding of how X works than
any other application.

--
 Marc Wilson |     The greatest disloyalty one can offer to great
 msw@cox.net |     pioneers is to refuse to move an inch from where