cut&paste doest not work with mozilla-firefox on some hosts?

Hello

Cut & paste from xterm via mouse-middle-click does not work with
mozilla-firefox on a Debian Sarge desktop. It used to work with Mozilla 1.7
and it does work on my Debian Sid desktop at home.

When I paste it via middle-click into a gnome-terminal and then explicitly
use the edit->copy clipboard function I can paste it into the URL line
of firefox.

Does anybody know how to tell firefox to use the standard X cut&paste?

thanks,

-christian-