Re: Integrated sound / ALSA / New Hardware

Hello

Zachary Rizer (<zrizer@yahoo.com>) wrote:

> I recently moved an installation to a new box, which has integrated
> audio. Specifically, from lspci:
>
> 0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM
> AC'97 Audio (rev 01)
>
> A bit of googling shows what module to use (ac97_codec).

No. You need the ac97 module, but you also need the module for your
sound chip, which is probably snd_i8x0 (if you use ALSA) or i810_audio,
if you use OSS. The ac97_codec is an OSS driver, if you want to use
ALSA instead, you need the ALSA modules that replaces it.

> However, the system says that /dev/dsp (which is linked to /dev/dsp0)
> is not a device.  Something as trivial as:
>
> [root@lenore]*[~]$ cat /etc/passwd > /dev/dsp0
> bash: /dev/dsp0: No such device

This means that the driver is not present. Make sure it gets loaded. Try

modprobe i810_audio

Also add yourself to the audio group:

adduser zachary audio

> fails.  So naturally, alsaconf cannot find the device, either.  But it
> is there, and worked under a previous installation.  I'm fairly
> certain I have a broken alsa installation, as this machine's sound
> quit working before, when using a different card.
>
> Should I not be using alsa?

You can use ALSA, but you must make sure that the ALSA modules for your
kernel are installed as well as the ALSA userspace packages. You need
alsa-modules-2.4.26-1-386, alsa-base, alsa-oss and you probably also
want alsa-utils. Please make sure that these packages are installed in
the latest versions. If hotplug and discover1 are installed, also
upgrade them to the latest versions. Otherwise you will get conflicts
with the OSS drivers. It is possible that the modules for your kernel
(as well as the kernel itself) are no longer available in Sarge and
Sid. In that case upgrade to 2.4.27 or 2.6.

> Extra information:
>
> Linux lenore 2.4.26-1-386 #1 Tue Aug 24 13:31:19 JST 2004 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
> lsmod ->
>
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> ac97_codec             11624   0  (unused)
> soundcore               3300   0  (autoclean)
> [...]

As I wrote above, these modules are not sufficient.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976