Re: different gecko-based browsers?

David Garamond wrote:
I found these gecko-based browsers in the repository.

 mozilla-browser
 mozilla-firefox
 kazehakase
 galeon
 epiphany

Any others that I missed?

I wonder if there's a browser with different/alternative UI. All of the above are basically "more of the same". The UIs are similar to the traditional Mozilla suite and they both share many of the annoyances and the lack of features, e.g.

- when middle-clicking on a non-link area it pops an error "Invalid URL" (I misclick often, so that's very annoying)

For mozilla/firefox, you want user_pref("middlemouse.contentLoadURL", false); in user.js or it can be set via about:config in the usual manner

- No optical zooming (is it possible with gecko?)

Ctrl-Alt-+ :), there are also various extensions that allow you to zoom into images.

- Roughly the same keyboard shortcuts (e.g. Ctrl-PgUp, Ctrl-PgDn; A browser with a keyboard shortcut set more like Opera would be nice, using 1 and 2 to cycle tabs :-)

They choose the shortcuts they think people will be familiar with since users are notorious for not wanting to read documentation. That's how they all end up with the same ones[Ctrl-Tab, Ctrl-Shift-Tab also cycle through tabs if that's any better]

- No friendly features for low-bandwidth connections like turning off images with a single keystroke. Cannot save images that are still loading. And Firefox/Galeon/Epiphany doesn't even have the "Never" cache checking option (I know there's probably a config in prefs.js but...).

Regards,
dave