Re: mknod, /dev/hdb, /dev/cdrom problem

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 11:39:04PM +0200, Necati DEMiR wrote:
> Hi,
> i wanted to mount my cdrom, but i saw that there is no hdb or cdrom in
> /dev directory, and i decided to create them by using mknod.
> and i did the followings;
>
> #mknod -m 0660 /dev/hdb b 3 64
> #ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/cdrom
>
> every thing is ok up to now.
> then i tried;
>
> #mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom/
>
> but it gave error like this;
>
> mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
>
> How can i solve this problem?
> Thanks!

Try giving the file system type in your mount command:
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom

Also using a symbolic link is unnecessary in this since
once you get it working you will surely make an entry
in /etc/fstab. Symbolic links, in this, are for making
it easier to maintain after a few months when you have
forgotten what you did to get it working.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net