Re: XF86Config-4 and XDMCP

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 09:56:34 -0800 (PST), Ridge Chittenden
<ridge236@yahoo.com> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> OK, but that's what I don't really understand. Which
> machine is running X?
>
> Machine A (adam) is running gdm. From machine B
> (byron), I log on to adam's gdm screen, which is
> delivered by XDMCP. When I log on to adam from byron,
> I use an adam user account; the display is on byron.
> (adam has no monitor, keyboard or mouse.)
>
> Is it adam or byron that needs the XF86Config-4? If
> adam, what sort of "monitor" settings should I use, as
> two machines with different kinds of monitors log on
> to adam over XDMCP?

"byron" is running X.   I believe if you edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf you
can make gdm not load a local (on adam) gui.

When you connect to a machine with gdm (or xdm or any other display
manager) you are essentially logging onto that machine. It's like
using SSH to log into a shell, only your machine running X (byron) has
the capability to display graphics.  Any applications you run on adam
(say Mozilla) will connect to $DISPLAY (it's an environment variable)
in this case byron; and byron will display with the application on
adam says to display.

--
Darryl
smartssa@gmail.com