Sound Problem Using Blender

I am posting this question on this list because I beleve the problem might be Debian related.

I am using Blender 2.35 on Debian amd64 unstable with KDE3.
I was trying a sample audio project and I am getting the following error:

open /dev/[sound/]dsp: Device or resource busy
Couldn't open audio: No available audio device

however my sound system works fine on kde and other applications.

also, the Blender worked on windows and suse9.1 on the same PC.

Anyone have the same problem?

Thanks for your time,
     Bill