Re: Sound stopped working after update

Another thing you might check is this.

/dev/dsp is the device-node used by the OSS system. `play' uses this
device (as does wavp and realplayer and many other sound
applications).  To access hardware via /dev/dsp under Alsa, then, you
need to make sure that you have oss-emulation set up. The normal way
to do this, if I understand correctly, is via the module
snd-pcm-oss. I notice that this module is not in the output of lsmod
in your original post.

Maybe you should try `modprobe snd-pcm-oss' and see if that makes a
difference.

The loading of this module is normally handled automatically by way
of:

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

which will force loading of snd-pcm-oss whenever /dev/dsp is accessed.

HTH

Jim