Re: CD/DVD writer successes anyone?

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 09:46:33PM +0000, Pedro M (Morphix User) wrote:
> Ron Johnson escribió:
>
> >On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 15:46 -0700, Dean Allen Provins wrote:
> >

> >>Hello:
> >>
> >>I'm interested in adding a CD/DVD reader/writer to my meager system and
> >>have been looking at LG GSA 4160B units (which allegedly `do it all').
> >>I'm sure that there are alternatives, but I'm still in the infancy of my
> >>search.

Apparently, LG had a rogue batch of DVD writers a while since.  Having
said that, I'm using a 4081B here which has had fairly hard use in the
last few months and is fine [IIRC, the only difference between A and B
is that one is the full retail pack i.e. cable, screws and Windows
software and one is the bare drive]

I've just put a 4160B in my machine at work.  Works fine reading CDs and
DVD's. Haven't had occasion to write with it recently but I've no reason
to assume it won't work fine.

This replaced a Sony drive which malfunctioned after about 5 months use.
At about GBP 60 or $110 or so, it's good value whichever because it will
handle the extra formats reliably. I'm never quite so sure about LiteOn
and the other "value" brands.

Andy

Andy