Re: CD/DVD writer successes anyone?

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 15:46 -0700, Dean Allen Provins wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I'm interested in adding a CD/DVD reader/writer to my meager system and
> have been looking at LG GSA 4160B units (which allegedly `do it all').
> I'm sure that there are alternatives, but I'm still in the infancy of my
> search.
>
> I'm aware only that the LG GSA 4040B (an old unit) was supported by
> Linux, but I haven't located any info to suggest that current units
> were.
>
> Have any readers any experiences with these units (or others) which they
> would care to share?

99.44% of all IDE devices are supported by Linux.  Unfortunately,
LG CD-RW burners are the only ones in many years that I've ever
heard give any trouble.

Scan the newspaper ads for the next time that Best Buy / CompUSA /
etc has no-name DVD-R/+RW burners on sale, and snag one.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"He was about as useful in a crisis as a sheep."
Dorothy Eden