Re: I Need Tips for Building Dual Opteron System

Dear John,

I don't have any experience personally, but a close friend just bought
an AMD64 box. He says that at the moment, biggest problem is that most
binaries are compiled for i386, though 64-bit stuff is slowly coming.
Debian's work-around is to install these applications into a chrooted
environment with i386 libraries.

Gentoo is said to be the most advanced in 64-bit Linux at the moment,
mainly because of its source-based nature.

Of course, you can run everything for i386, you just don't get the full
advantage of the 64-bit chip. Anyway, all these hassles will go away
after time, and is to be expected when you're on the cutting edge of
technology.

regards,
Robert