I Need Tips for Building Dual Opteron System

I am currently doing research for building a new Dual Opteron system. Anyone
on the list with positive/negative experience in using Linux (esp. Debian
based) on this type of machine please reply. I am concerned about matching up
hardware that all works. I plan to use this as a server/workstation for
personal use and will be doing some design/CAD/CAM so huge amounts of memory
are needed. I would appreciate a list of hardware configurations that you
currently have working and any suggestions for specefic Debian dist. (yes,
even commercial) are appreciated. Consider the term "Dream Machine" but
temper it with real "currently working" technology
--
John Foster