Re: Newbie Having Much Trouble Getting Deb 2.4.18-bf2.4 To Work

(reply below)

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> I didn't realize that sending the attachment raw over Outlook Express would
> cause this confusion.  I read it with notepad before sending to be sure it
> was readable.  I guess everone on the list is using linux software to send
> mail and I would have but it's not working right.  Sometimes I can receive
> and send, many times not.  I'll be using a dual boot system for a long time,
> until I know a lot more about linux.
> Len Chatagnier

	I'm using Pine off my ISP's server so I know this message is text.
Your mail agent apparently uunencoded the text attachment and made it
unreadable as raw text.  You may want to paste text inline and turn off
any HTML encoding.  I know that Netscape offers you a choice of both or
either text or HTML.  Choose text only!  :-)

	My system is also dual boot into either Woody (Debian GNU/Linux)
or Windows 98SE.  LILO gives me the choice.  I'm also running the bf2.4 or
2.4.18 kernel.  I plan to upgrade to Sarge when it goes stable.  I'm
hoping that the 2.6 kernel and upgrade of Gnome and KDE will give me
better service.  And I also hope to get DSL in my area else that upgrade
will have to run all night or all day over my dialup connection!  I am
also still learning my Linux.  Look in the books section of Debian.org and
get one called a Cookbook.  It is Debian specific and gives you better
insight into the Debian GNU/Linux system.  Of course, browsing through
your man and info pages will help with the technical details (and lurking
on this list will also help).

	Enjoy your system and Season's Greetings!
	(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless