Sarge and dselect

Related to last post, the background is: I have been trying to compile a 2.6.9 kernel under woody. I used backports, but the kernels kept crashing - kernel panics, etc. So then I upgraded to sarge, using apt-get dist-upgrade and after changing my sources.list. I now have a problem with dselect. The help screens are displayed in what I assume is ascii-art rendition - white on black, loads of characters where it would normally be blank, virtually unreadable. Though pressing <enter> gives me a package list in the usual black and white.