Re: Microsoft Access

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 22:56 -0500, William Ballard wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 09:47:42PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Thus, an Access replacement should do all those things, but w/o
> > being buggy.  Certainly you could have figured that out
>
> Since my data is stored in XML, I can do everything and more I can do
> with Access queries and reports using xsltproc to select bits and
> present it.  My UI component is sort of a "universal form" -- it has
> checkboxes and in particular comboboxes for lookup tables.  All that
> stuff is done automatically.  It doesn't support custom code-behind or
> addins, Access has that.  But mine supports replication and merging.
[snip]
> It's more of a workalike.  I don't care if everybody else thinks it
> sucks.  The things it doesn't do should be done using a proper RDBMS and
> a real frontend.

I hope you don't think I was referring to *you* in my comments.

Being a programmer, how could I insult someone else's homegrown
app that does what they want?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment
by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."
Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)