Re: data-entry GUIs & python

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 12:33:40AM -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 08:53:41PM -0500, Mark Roach wrote:
> >
> > OpenOffice has a lot of cool database features that you might not
> > expect, and is programmable in StarBasic
> >
> > http://dba.openoffice.org is a useful, if cluttered resource
> > http://www.unixodbc.org/doc/OOoMySQL.pdf is a helpful overview of the
> > sorts of stuff you can accomplish.
> >
> > My personal preference is usually python + sqlite/postgres + gtk +
> > glade. Could you explain a bit about what you're trying to accomplish?
> > There might be a solution that fits best based on that.
>
> Do you create forms for data-entry using python?  I am looking for a
> database solution that integrates closely with OOo, but I find the
> form-creation tools in OOo to be a little bit clumsy.  An ideal
> solution for me would be a great data-entry frontend, and python glue
> that takes the data and uses it to create or modify openoffice
> documents using the PyUNO bridge (have to use non-debian OOo packages to
> do that right now, but that should change sometime soon).
>
> Anyway, if you create data-entry gui's using python, would you be
> willing to share some of your code?  I'd love to see it.

You might want to have a look at the Dabo framework. <http://dabodev.com/>.
This is a project (MIT license) by a bunch of ex-Foxpro developers trying to
make a Python RAD environment with some of the better features of visual
foxpro. It's still fairly immature, but it looks real promising.

dt

--
Dave Thayer           | WARNING: Persons denying the existence of
Denver, Colorado USA  | robots may be robots themselves.