Re: changing default os in grub

On (02/12/04 20:34), john gennard wrote:
> [...]
> >
> ># This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the
> ># Debian sarge ones. Here I've manually inserted the details of Ubuntu,
> ># and MEPIS.  Note that Xandros uses LILO by default and offers
> ># no easy way to install grub. I can only boot into Xandros from a boot
> ># floppy.  My advice is don't mix Xandros with grub ;)
> >title           Other operating systems:
> >root
> >

> ># This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
> ># linux installation on /dev/hdb9.
> >title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.8.1-3-386 (on /dev/hdb9)
> >root            (hd1,8)
> >kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-3-386 root=/dev/hdb9 ro quiet
> >splash
> >initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8.1-3-386
> >savedefault
> >boot
> >

> ># This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
> ># linux installation on /dev/hdb9.
> >title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.8.1-3-386 (recovery mode) (on
> >/dev/hdb9)
> >root            (hd1,8)
> >kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-3-386 root=/dev/hdb9 ro single
> >initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8.1-3-386
> >savedefault
> >boot
> >

> ># This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
> ># linux installation on /dev/hdb11.
> >title           MEPIS, kernel 2.4.26 (on /dev/hdb11)
> >root            (hd1,10)
> >kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26 root=/dev/hdb11 ro
> >savedefault
> >boot
> >

> ># This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
> ># linux installation on /dev/hdb11.
> >title           MEPIS, kernel 2.4.26 (recovery mode) (on /dev/hdb11)
> >root            (hd1,10)
> >kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26 root=/dev/hdb11 ro single
> >savedefault
> >boot
> >

> ># This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
> ># linux installation on /dev/hdb11.
> >title           Run MEMTEST to test system memory (on /dev/hdb11)
> >root            (hd1,10)
> >kernel          /boot/memtest86.bin root=/dev/hdb11
> >savedefault
> >boot
> >
> >Once you've edited your menu.lst run update-grub but make sure you have
> >also made a grub floppy to get you out of trouble, if necessary.  Look
> >at the GRUB in Debian HOWTO:
> >
> >http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=539
> >
> >HTH
> >
> >Clive
> >

> Many thanks, Clive. In fact your set up is very similar to
> mine except that I have Knoppix 3.1 and Sid and no Mepis.
>
> I have a small W2000 install, but don't want it as the default.
> For default, I want Sarge, but it seems I may only be able to
Hi John

The first boot stanza is the default one and so if you move the Windows
2000 one above to below the Automatic Kernels section, Debian becomes
the default.

When I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.8 the menu.lst was updated and update-
grub run during the install.  So you should be able to have multiple
kernels for sarge.

> I'll create a GRUB boot floppy and then experiment.
>
> Until recently, I used boot floppies for all my installed
> systems and found that convenient for my purposes. However,
> the much larger kernels mean this is no longer an option.
>
> Slightly off this topic: My Bios boot sequence is now set
> to Cdrom (I never leave a CD in the drive), then Harddrive.
> This allows me to boot into Knoppix later issues and similar
> distros without keep going into the Bios. I've been wondering
> if anyone has tried putting Lilo or Grub onto a Cdrom (or Dvd).
This is out of my depth thus far ;)

Regards

Clive

--