RE: OT: time and computer networks

Another popular example would be remote filesysems (i.e. NFS, Samba, etc.).

For instance, my soure files are stored on an NFS mount, but I compile on a
local box.  Make depends on timestamps to know what to compile.  If the
systems don't synch up very well, there is a chance a changed file will not
be remade.

Also imagine if your boss looked at your TPS reports on the Samba server and
found that they were dated in the future (according to the clock on his PC).
Or worse 3 years in the past.

(Ron, thanks for the "Reply" head's up)