Re: OT: time and computer networks

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 00:59 -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> ok...  this is way OT.  but I thought I'd put this question to the
> most knowledgable group of people I know...
>
> I have to give a lecture on the history of timekeeping technologies.
> I want to end with late c.20/ early c21 technologies of synchronized
> timekeeping.  GPS is one obvious example, NTP is another.  But
> puttingthe lecture together I realized I don'trelaly understand why
> it's important for computer networks to have fine-grain
> synchronization.  So I thought I'd ask some geeks (as my sig says, I'm
> only a hemi-geek):  why does a network need careful clock
> synchronization?  Are packets like railroad cars -- in the sense that
> it's VERY important to know which got sent first, and which is ocming
> next -- and if you screw up the timeable, you get a catastrophe?  Or
> is there more flexibility in the system?
>
> anyway, it's just a question.  I'd love to hear some answers.

"The network" doesn't need careful clock synchronization.  As
evidence, note that *most* IP nodes do not run any sort of time
sync app.  TCP packets are ordered at the end point using sequence
numbers.

It's applications & humans that need/want clock sync.  A quick,
simple example is forensic analysis of log files.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

No matter how hard women work, train, excersize (and some of the
woment in the Olympics were *muscular*), lose body fat, or get
Title IX money, (the population of athletic) women will *never*
be faster, stronger or better at sports(*) than (the population
of athletic) men. (*Excluding "small sports" like darts.) It's
just how men and women have evolved. Deal with it.